5 Best Swimming Workouts For Beginners
Swimming workouts are an excellent form of exercise. Also, since the density of water is similar to that of the human body, water supports the human body during swimming and exerts less stress on the bones and joints. In fact, swimming is often used as a rehabilitative exercise for those who have suffered injury or those with disabilities. Swimming benefits the posture and helps develop a lean physique.
For beginning swimmers, it is important to start slowly and gradually add to your swimming workouts. Adult swimming lessons are a great way to get started. Here are the five best swimming workouts for beginners.
1. Workout #1 – Warm up with a 50 meter swim. Then swim a ladder set which is sequence of ascending lengths followed by descending lengths. Swim 50, 75, 100, 100, 75, and 50 meter sets.
2. Workout #2 – Start with a warm up of 25 meters, 50 meters and 75 meters. For the main workout swim 2 X 25 meters freestyle, followed by 2 X 25 meters kick. Next do a ladder of 25-50-75-100-75-50-25. Cool down with a 75 meters, 50 meters and 25 meters swim.
3. Workout #3 – Warm up by swimming a 300 meter warm up set. You may optionally change swimming styles every 50 meters. Next, swim ten sets of 50 meters freestyle, with a ten second rest between each set. Follow these sets with another ten sets of 50 meters, this time with a kick board and rest for around 12 seconds for each set. Finish the workout with 200 meter freestyle.
4. Workout #4 – Warm up with a 300 meter swim with 100 meters freestyle, 100 meters kick and 100 meters backstroke. After your warm up, swim two sets of 500 meters. Finish up with a 200 meter swim.
5. Workout #5 – For warm up, swim 500 meters freestyle. Next, swim 5 X 100 meters with a 20 second rest. Swim a 5 X 75 meter swim with 15 seconds rest. Do a 5 X 50 with ten seconds rest. Swim a 5 X 25 with five seconds rest and finish with a backstroke of 5 X 50.
Another great workout involves swimming weights. They can be used with masters swimming workouts or aerobics swimming workouts.