Hiking is a wonderful activity that does require careful planning on your part. By making a hiking gear list and including the essentials listed below it will keep you safe as well as help you should you encounter any problems.
Here is a look at the top ten must have hiking equipment.
1. The first on any hiking gear list should be a map of the hiking trail and area you will be going. This is essential as it can prepare you for whatever terrain you may encounter and perhaps more importantly, keep you on the trail throughout your walk.
2. A compass also falls into the must haves. Compasses can help keep you going in the right direction. It is vital that you have a familiarity with how to operate your compass before going.
3. A pocket knife is a great tool to have on your hike. It has multiple uses and you might be surprised when a situation arises that you were glad you had it.
4. A good pair of trail hiking shoes is important for several reasons. For one, you may encounter different terrain during your hike so having a durable material keeps your feet safe and provides you with traction. Look for waterproof hiking shoes if you are going in dark, damp areas as this will keep your feet comfortable and keep you safe.
5. A first aid kid is necessary on any hiking gear list. You can buy first aid kits at many drug stores and even sporting goods stores. It’s important it have the essentials such as bandages, antiseptic wipes, cotton balls, gauze, tape and pain medications. You can also put together a kit for very little cost. Make sure to also factor in food and water to this list. Take plenty of water along and foods rich in protein like jerky and trail mix.
6. A whistle can come in handy if emergency strikes. It is one of the most effective ways to break the silence and locate a person if they are in trouble.
7. Insect repellent is great especially if you are hiking through forested areas. This can protect you from not only getting insects bites but also incurring any sickness from the subsequent bites.
8. A flashlight is great tool to have on your hiking gear list. This will come in handy when hiking through dark areas or at night. Make sure to have at least one set of spare batteries on hand.
9. Waterproof matches are another must have on your hiking gear list. Unless you plan on staying overnight these are more precautionary but can come in handy if you are lost at night or are in dark areas.
10. Rain gear is a good option to include in your list. Though you may have received favorable conditions for the day of you hike, weather changes quickly. In most areas packing a poncho will be sufficient.
Ultimately, many of these items you can find at sporting goods stores. Also, be sure to check out New Balance if you are looking for the best hiking shoes as their footwear provides comfort and durability no matter what terrain you will hike.