Top 10 Best Mountain Bike Trails in California
California is full of challenging and scenic mountain bike trails. Some of the best mountain bike riding can be found in the state parks and wilderness areas of California. Here are some mountain biking tips and the best trails in California.
1. Tahoe Rim Trail – This trail has three beautiful lakes, Round Lake, Dardanelles Lake, and Showers Lake and several striking volcanic rock formations.
2. Bullards Bar Loop – This trail is between Nevada City and Downieville and includes a well-marked rolling single track trail along with views of a lake and old-growth forests. The northeast part of the trail is more technical while the southwest portion of the trail is wider, smoother and not as steep. So this trail can be enjoyed by mountain bikers of varying skill levels.
3. Alamo Mountain Loop Road – The Peak of Alamo Mountain is over 7400 feet so the best riding is in the fall and summer when you can wear mountain bike shorts. The mountain has abundance of large trees and at higher elevations; the trail provides views of seldom seen canyons.
4. Foresthill Divide Trail Loop – This trail is a winding single track loop with changing elevation and many twists and turns. Bike through Manzanita trees and oaks along a ridge dividing the Middle and North Forks of the American River.
5. Mount Diablo Wall Point Loop – One of the best mountain bike trails in the Bay Area, Mount Diablo Wall Point Loop includes majestic views of Sonoma Valley, Yosemite, and the Marin Headlands.
6. Aliso Valley – Near the Riverside Freeway, this mountain bike trail is excellent for beginner bikers. Make sure everybody in your group wears mountain bike helmets.
7. Downieville Downhill – One of the best mountain bike trails in northern California, the Downieville Downhill trail features 17 miles of downhill riding and 5000 feet of vertical drop. The ride includes creek crossings, steep technical rides, and single track for 85% of the ride.
8. Bluff Trail – This is one of the most scenic mountain bike trails in California. The vistas include crashing ocean waves, jutting rock formations, and colorful flowers.
9. Cannell Trail – Cannell Trail is one of the best mountain bike trails in the Lake Isabella area. The ride includes runs through Pine Flats and Cannell Meadows and a steep fire-road climb.
10. Forest of Nisene Marks – This state park provides great trails for mountain bikers and hikers and its steep terrain makes it undesirable land for developers. So it’s likely to remain untouched by development for a long time.
California has some of the best mountain bike trails in the country. Strap your helmet on and check them out.