Hatha yoga poses were developed by Yogi Swatmarama, an Indian 15th-century sage. The yoga asanas, or poses, were designed to prepare the body for meditation. According to the Sanskrit dictionary, the word “hatha” means forceful. Hatha yoga poses are strong types of yoga poses for purifying the body in preparation for meditation. Hatha yoga is what most westerners associate with the word “yoga”. Here is a list of the top ten hatha yoga poses for beginners:
1. Butterfly Pose – best yoga posture for meditation (seated)
2. Lion Pose – Detoxify and cleanse the body (seated)
3. Archer Pose – Conditioning (standing)
4. Mountain yoga Position – Nerve strength (standing)
5. Triangle Pose – Flexibility and strength (standing)
6. Cobra Pose – Healthy back (supine)
7. Hatha yoga Plank Pose – Arm strength (supine)
8. Plough Pose – Opening key Chakra points (inverted)
9. Bow Pose – Eternal youth (backward bending)
10. Modified Wheel Pose – Digestion and flexibility (backward bending)
Traditional yoga includes disciplines, asanas, purification procedures, breathing and meditation. Hatha yoga poses practiced by westerners is recognized as a stress reducing activity. Hatha yoga represents opposing energies such as fire and water, hot and cold, male and female, positive and negative. Hatha yoga poses are great yoga exercises for beginners because is employs purification practices, controlled breathing, and the calming of the mind through meditation and relaxation. Yoga asanas improve the body’s health and calm the mind by practicing balance, poise, and strength.
There are many types of yoga in the Hindu philosophy, including Karma yoga, Raja yoga, Bhakti yoga, Jnana yoga, and Hatha yoga. The Sanskrit word “Yoga” means “to unite”. Someone who practices yoga or follows its philosophy is called a “yogi” or “yogini.” Hatha yoga differs from Raja yoga because it focuses on the purification of the body as a prerequisite of the purification of the mind. Raja asanas are seated postures while Hatha asanas are full body poses. Yoga can be practiced in western workout clothes or in yoga pants.