1. Backpack – Any rock climbing gear list should include a quality backpack, one that can carry all of your equipment and accessories without ripping or being uncomfortable. The backpack should have a heavy weight rating.
2. Climbing Harness – Whether you are gathering indoor rock climbing gear or plan to climb outdoors you will always need a climbing harness to protect you in case you lose your grip. A harness can prevent accidents and injuries.
3. Carabiners – Carabiners are standard rock climbing equipment, and you should include extras just in case you need them later on. Include both locking and other types of carabiners so you are prepared for any climbing situation.
4. Helmet – A helmet should always be included in your rock climbing gear, to protect your head from any falling hazards and prevent any head injuries.
5. Belay Device – A belay device should never be left behind, and black diamond climbing gear offers many options for this equipment. This device will help you belay safely, and there are models which are self braking in case you start to descend too quickly.
6. Climbing Pack – A climbing pack will sit inside your backpack, and can hold equipment that you need to find quickly while climbing such as climbing chalk and carabiners.
7. Clothing of varying weights for layering- Appropriate clothing should be considered essential rock climbing gear, and you should make sure that you have clothing that can be layered and will keep you comfortable while climbing.
8. Rock Climbing Shoes – Climbing shoes are very important, because they will help you grip even the slickest of surfaces and allow you to climb easier and safer.
9. Hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen – Do not forget the rock climbing gear which will protect you from the sun, and from any glare that interferes with your vision.
10. Climbing Ropes – Climbing ropes are essential to climbing, and you should make sure that the ropes you have are appropriate in weight and length for the climbs you will be making.