If you are preparing to draft your fantasy football team, consider one of these top NFL running backs. These runners proved themselves during the 2010 NFL season and show up near the top of NFL running back rankings.
1. Arian Foster from Houston Texans. Foster is the 2010 NFL rushing leader. Just a year before he was an undrafted free agent on the practice squad. Foster broke the record held by Priest Holmes for the most yards from scrimmage by an undrafted player.
2. Jamaal Charles from Kansas City Chiefs – Jamaal Charles was the second leading rusher in the NFL in 2010, with 1467 yards. He also rushed for a league-leading average of 6.4 yards per carry.
3. Adrian Peterson, Minnesota Vikings – Perhaps the strongest runner in the NFL, Peterson can run right over a defensive back. His 2010 running back stats were fairly impressive even with a weak offensive line.
&4. Maurice-Jones Drew, Jacksonville Jaguars – Drew finished with 1324 rushing yards in the 2010 season. His low-to-the-ground rushing style makes him one of the hardest NFL running backs to bring down.
5. Chris Johnson, Tennessee Titans – Johnson is the fastest man in the NFL. He outruns his teammates during running back workouts. He can outrun even the fastest safeties in the NFL. Watch out if he gets outside.
6. Steven Jackson, St. Louis Rams – Jackson is one of the strongest NFL running backs and one of the hardest runners to tackle. His scoring statistics are not that impressive, but then again, he plays for the Rams.
7. Ray Rice, Baltimore Ravens – Rice was a punishing runner in 2010, with over 1200 yards rushing and zero fumbles. Perhaps other NFL teams should copy Baltimore’s running back drills.
8. Rashard Mendenhall, Pittsburgh Steelers – Mendenhall led the Steelers all the way to the Super Bowl with his hard-to-tackle running style.
9. Cedric Benson, Cincinnati Bengals – One of the most dynamic NFL running backs, Benson uses his blockers well and wears down the defense.
10. Michael Turner, Atlanta Falcons – Turner was the third-leading rusher in the NFL in 2010, running for 1371 yards. Turner was a key part of the Falcons’ potent offensive attack.
These top NFL running backs have a combination of size, speed and strength that wears out a defense.